Traffic in Jackson is more congested than ever, heightened by construction. Because Clark Lakers often venture into Jackson, here’s an update on what to expect. The following is directly from the Michigan Department of Transportation:
The contractor achieved a major milestone on Oct. 1 when eastbound I-94 traffic was shifted onto the newly built westbound I-94 roadway from Lansing Avenue to Airport Road. This in turn allowed the demolition of the eastbound I-94 bridge over US-127/West Avenue and the beginning of pavement removal from the eastbound roadway.
Over the next few months, the contractor will complete building the bridge carrying Lansing Avenue over I-94. The building of the new bridge carrying eastbound I-94 over US-127/West Ave and the new Elm Road bridge over I-94 will continue as well. The contractor will continue to work on building the eastbound lanes of I-94 as well as the west half of the new diverging diamond interchange at I-94 and US-127/West Avenue. It is anticipated that I-94 traffic will be maintained in its current configuration through the winter months.
Ramp and local road impacts that remain active:
- The northbound US-127/West Avenue ramp to westbound I-94 is closed.
- The southbound US-127/West Avenue ramp to eastbound I-94 is maintained via a temporary ramp using a temporary traffic signal.
- One lane of northbound US-127/West Avenue is closed from Sparks Street to Springport Road.
- Lansing Avenue will remain closed from Royal Drive to Shirley Drive until early winter.
- Shirley Drive is closed south of Springport Road and traffic is detoured to Lansing Avenue. It is anticipated that Shirley Drive will reopen in mid- to late October.
- The Elm Road entrance ramp to eastbound I-94 is maintained via a temporary ramp from Blake Road. This configuration will remain in place through the winter months.
- The westbound I-94 exit ramp to Elm Road is closed with traffic detoured to the Cooper Street interchange. It is anticipated that this ramp will reopen via a temporary connection to Seymour in mid-October. This configuration will remain in place through the winter months.
- The eastbound I-94 exit ramp to Cooper Street is currently closed. It is scheduled to reopen by mid-October.
The Google Earth illustration was taken in December 2020.