I-94 is a respectable distance from Clark Lake, but most Clark Lakers need to navigate it. Construction continues to change travel plans. So, here’s an update on what to expect, directly from the Michigan Department of Transportation, in their words:
The contractor continues to make progress along eastbound I-94 as well as the interchanges at US-127/West Avenue and Elm Road. Grading and concrete paving are progressing along eastbound I-94 between Airport Road and M-106 (Cooper Street). Once that paving is completed in early July, eastbound I-94 traffic will be shifted onto the new eastbound lanes and work will resume in the median of I-94.
The eastbound I-94 ramp to US-127/West Avenue is currently closed while the contractor finishes building the new exit ramp. This ramp closure will remain in place until late June.
The finishing touches are being made to the Lansing Avenue bridge over I-94 and eastbound I-94 bridge over US-127/West Avenue.
Work will continue on the west half of the new diverging diamond interchange at I-94/US-127/West Avenue. In early July, we expect southbound US-127/West Avenue traffic to be shifted to the west half of the US-127/West Avenue roadway, which will allow the contractor to build the “median” of the new diverging diamond interchange.
The contractor also continues to work on the relocated Elm Road interchange, with concrete paving of the new Elm Road roundabout south of I-94 beginning this week.
I-94 traffic will be kept in its current configuration for the next four to six weeks with all lanes of traffic shifted to the westbound side. Additional local ramp and lane closures are expected as we get closer to July.
Ramp and local road impacts that are still active:
- The northbound US-127/West Avenue ramp to westbound I-94 is closed with traffic detoured to Springport Road.
- The southbound US-127/West Avenue ramp to eastbound I-94 is maintained via a temporary ramp using a temporary traffic signal.
- The eastbound I-94 ramp to US-127/West Avenue is closed with traffic detoured to M-106 (Cooper Street).
- One lane of northbound US-127/West Avenue is closed from Sparks Street to Springport Road.
- The Elm Road entrance ramp to eastbound I-94 is maintained via a temporary ramp from Blake Road.
- The westbound I-94 exit ramp to Elm Road remains open via a temporary signalized connection to Seymour Road. A temporary traffic signal is also in place at the Elm Road/Seymour Road intersection.
- Southbound Elm Road has one lane closed at I-94.
For more information about the I-94 project, please click here.